This page is not intended as an exhaustive bibliography on large-scale complex IT systems (LSCITS). Rather, it is a list of key readings, the sort of thing that a new LSCITS PhD student might reasonably be expected to digest in their first term/semester, to understand the kind of issues, problems, and approaches that are relevant to LSCITS.
- L. Barosso & U. Holzle, The Data Centre as a Computer: An Introduction to the Design of Warehouse-Scale Machines. Morgan & Claypool, 2009. (Free book pdf downloadable from here).
- N. Carr. The Big Switch: Rewiring the world from Edison to Google. Norton, 2008.
- E. Hollnagel, D. Woods, & N. Leveson (eds). Resilience Engineering: Concepts & Precepts. Ashgate, 2006.
- R. Hopkins & K. Jenkins. Eating the IT Elephant: Moving from Greenfield Development to Brownfield. IBM Press, 2008.
- D. MacKenzie. Mechanizing Proof: Computing, Risk, & Trust. MIT Press, 2004.
- L. Northrop et al. Ultra-Large Scale Systems: The Software Challenge of the Future. Carnegie-Mellon University Software Engineering Institute SEI Report, 2006. (Free book pdf downloadable from here).
- C. Perrow. Normal Accidents: Living with High-Risk Technologies. Princeton University Press, 1984.
- J. Seddon. Systems Thinking in the Public Sector. Triarchy, 2008.
- C. Shirky. Here Comes Everybody. Penguin, 2008.
- W. Starbuck & M. Farjoun (eds). Organization at the Limit: Lessons from the Columbia Disaster. WileyBlackwell, 2005.
- E. Tufte. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, 2/e. Graphics Press, 2001.
Papers, reports, and other documents
- The 451 Group (2009). Cloudscape: Cloud Codex. The 451 Group. Downloadable from here (free, but requires registration).
- R. Anderson & T. Moore (2008) "Information Security Economics & Beyond" manuscript downloadable from here.
- S. Bullock & D. Cliff (2004) "Complexity and Emergence in ICT Systems", HP Labs Technical Report HPL-2004-187. Downloadable from here.
- B. Butler et al. (2004) "The Challenges of Complex IT Projects". Royal Academy of Engineering Report. Downloadable from here.
- A. Fox et al. (2009) "Engineering Values in IT". Royal Academy of Engineering Report. Downloadable from here.
- J. Hendler et al. (2008) "Web Science, an Interdisciplinary Approach to Understanding the Web". Communications of the ACM 51(7):60-69. Downloadable from here.
- I. Sommerville (2008) "Fitting software to the organisation: Reducing time to value for new software systems" slides from a tutorial given in Perth. Downloadable from here.